I had issues in getting a SVG from a TikZ picture containing a pattern filling: https://github.com/mgieseki/dvisvgm/issues/158. The reported issue was created last year, and it’s marked as fixed. Nonetheless, I had this issue even though my MikTeX was up-to-date.
- I wanted to confirm whether my
dvisvgm.exe, which had been shipped with MikTeX, was latest.
- I first asked at https://github.com/mgieseki/dvisvgm/issues/184, but I was referred to MikTeX’s GitHub repository since it’s about the MikTeX-packaged version of this tool.
- I am not sure about the technical explanation from the owner of dvisvgm at https://github.com/MiKTeX/miktex/issues/1112. It seemed that I was already using the latest stable version of this tool.
- I gave a MWE illustrating the problem with the graph of y = (x + 1)² with region under the curve filled with a pattern in the above issue. I knew that’s probably off-topic, but the package owner might have some insights about the problem. It turned out that PDF → SVG was partly supported by dvisvgm. Using DVI → SVG, I managed to get the filling pattern, but I lost the beautiful Computer Modern Roman fonts—that’s another issue.
- Hoping for a response from the owner for the previous problem, I started
https://github.com/mgieseki/dvisvgm/issues/186. He suggested the use of
--font-format=woff. I observed no difference in the local filesystem. I uploaded everything I got through GitHub so that he could see what my
dvisvgm.exehad output. I didn’t expected that the Computer Modern Roman fonts disappeared on GitHub side. If I hadn’t asked there, I would have never known that it’s the web browser’s security measure not to load the embedded font data in a SVG loaded from a server.
Meaning of some commonly used parameters of dvisvgm:
--no-fonts: all fonts rendered as path.
--font-format=woff: output SVG with embedded font data in WOFF.
-d 2: precise to 2 decimal places, with
-R: relative positioning, to reduce output SVG file size.
-o: output path with file name.
-b 10: a border of 10pt. In the manual, it’s written that a list of four numbers delimited by three commas is possible, but I’ve never managed that.
-O: optimize for web publishing, but strips off the Computer Modern Roman font.
-T: transformation. I’ve only scaled images with
-P: generate SVG from PDF (instead of DVI).
I’m indebted to Martin Gieseking for his responses and help in the above linked issues/questions. His suggestions saved me hours of reading and searching, so that I could fix some SVG files at commit 8a2122cc.